Friday, May 23, 2008

Then and now

I was just looking back on this blog and I had to laugh when I read "As if the dollar wasn't weak enough already" (compared to the Euro). I looked it up and the Euro was trading at $1.27 in March of 2005 when I wrote that. Right now it's $1.57, which is a few cents better than last month when it was around $1.60. Hmmm... let's see what gas prices were then and now...

Okay in March 2005 gas in Honolulu averaged $2.40/gal compared to $3.95/gal (which isn't SO bad compared to the national average of $3.91/gal and how much higher gas prices usually are in Hawaii compared to the U.S. mainland... (I got those stats from http://honolulugasprices.com)

Just a thought... =)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

One of the things I tend to read during my slower weekend days is The Economist. An interesting thing - the price of oil has only recently (the last month or so) deviated in ratio from the price of gold, and has only increased by a normal amount in Euro denominated terms, although recent manufacturing flight to the US has made all global currencies inflation go above where they'd like it, in part to the recent pouring of capital into commodities. Anyway, Saudi Arabia just announced within the last couple of days that they are going to increase production, as they are finally concerned about high gas prices, which I think is because gold has fallen off it's high of near 1000, while oil has climbed another $25 a barrel since then. I couldn't help notice that a large pizza hut pizza down there cost R$42 on your prior link.

Tell me, what's ethanol and gas going for at the pump down there now, and how do they compare?